- 1 How do you make a statue mold?
- 2 What can I use for concrete molds?
- 3 How do you make concrete statues look old?
- 4 What is the best material for making a mold?
- 5 How do you make a mold out of household items?
- 6 How do you keep concrete from sticking to plastic molds?
- 7 How do you make homemade concrete dye?
- 8 Can you put cement in silicone molds?
- 9 Can you use cardboard as a mold for concrete?
- 10 What does concrete not stick to?
- 11 What kind of paint do you use for concrete statues?
- 12 How do you make moss grow on concrete statues?
- 13 How do you make new concrete look weathered?
How do you make a statue mold?
This article details the steps that we took throughout the mold making and casting process:
- Step 1: Select a Mold Making Method & Mold Rubber.
- Step 2: Construct Mold Box & Prepare Sculpture.
- Step 3: Measure, Mix & Pour Silicone Mold Rubber.
- Step 4: Demold.
- Step 5: Cut the Mold.
- Step 6: Rotational Casting.
What can I use for concrete molds?
Make your own Mold for Concrete – Part 1
- pure silicone caulking like this (make sure it isn’t latex)
- 1 box of corn starch.
- rubber/latex gloves.
- a ‘non-precious’ bowl.
- vaseline (as a mold release)
- a ‘critter’ to use as the master form (or make your own)
How do you make concrete statues look old?
In the bowl or bucket, mix together water, bonding agent and pigment.
- Spray a small area of the statue with water.
- Dip the paintbrush into the color-solution, and apply the color to the area you’ve just wet.
- Using the rag, immediately wipe any protruding, or “high” areas.
- Step back and look at your work.
What is the best material for making a mold?
Polyurethane and Polyester Resins– As mentioned in the previous section, silicone rubbers are generally the best option for casting these materials. Upwards of one hundred parts can be cast in these molds. If you only require 10-20 cast parts, then you might opt to use less-expensive polyurethane mold rubber.
How do you make a mold out of household items?
The recipe for using Household Items for Making Molds:
- Buy 100% silicone caulking.
- Squeeze it out into a bowl.
- Mix 5 tablespoons of cornstarch into the silicone.
- Wipe our original shape with a mold release, such as vegetable oil or vaseline.
- Pour the silicone over the object you want to mold.
- Let cure.
How do you keep concrete from sticking to plastic molds?
Using formal release agents or even oil-based lubricants such as Vaseline to coat a plastic bucket surface before exposure to wet concrete will help prevent any concrete adhesion to the pail.
How do you make homemade concrete dye?
Add a latex paint or any water-soluble paint to a concrete mix. Use the paint like water in the same proportion when adding it to the concrete. Additionally, any type of powdered paint pigment can be mixed with water in a bucket and added to the concrete.
Can you put cement in silicone molds?
Concrete won’t stick to silicone, rubber, or plastic. There really isn’t an ideal material for choosing a mold for concrete crafts, because aside from size shape, there will be a few other factors to look at.
Can you use cardboard as a mold for concrete?
You could cast concrete in a cardboard box except for one thing – it’s not water tight. The cardboard will suck the moisture out of the concrete, leaving a chalky finish at best. At worst the box will blow out or fall apart before the concrete has cured.
What does concrete not stick to?
Paint – Paint is another material that has no natural bonding agents, so concrete generally won’t stick to it very well. Oil – Oil or oiled surfaces are often used to make the surface resistant to concrete bonding.
What kind of paint do you use for concrete statues?
Use acrylic latex paint on concrete statues.
You should always use a paintbrush to paint the statue, as opposed to spray painting it. Spray paint doesn’t look as nice and it doesn’t last as long as paint applied with a brush.
How do you make moss grow on concrete statues?
Make it: For an old mossy look, mix 1 cup water with 1 cup buttermilk and add a handful of pulverized moss, dried or fresh. Use the solution to paint an object such as a stone or sculpture.
How do you make new concrete look weathered?
Place a layer of fresh topsoil over the new cement and wet it with a garden hose. Let the soil stay there for a few days, and wet it repeatedly as it starts to dry out. Remove most of the soil with a shovel, leaving only a small amount. Walk on it repeatedly to darken the cement.