- 1 Can hardwood floors be installed over concrete?
- 2 What is the best flooring to put over concrete?
- 3 Do you need underlay for solid wood flooring on concrete?
- 4 What is the best wood flooring for concrete slab?
- 5 Can you float a solid wood floor on concrete?
- 6 Do I need a vapor barrier between concrete and wood flooring?
- 7 What can I put over concrete?
- 8 Can mold grow under vinyl flooring on concrete?
- 9 Do I need underlayment for vinyl plank flooring on concrete?
- 10 How do you install solid wood flooring on a concrete slab?
- 11 What kind of flooring can you put on a slab?
- 12 Do I need a subfloor over concrete?
Can hardwood floors be installed over concrete?
Solid parquet hardwood flooring can be glued directly to a concrete slab on grade or above grade with the use of a manufacturer recommended vapor retarder. Solid parquet should not be installed below grade. Successful installation also requires conducting a concrete slab moisture test before parquet installation.
What is the best flooring to put over concrete?
Best Flooring for Concrete Slab Foundation
- Engineered Wood. Natural hardwood flooring offers undeniable beauty and durability.
- Vinyl. As a longstanding choice for kitchens and bathrooms, vinyl has a reputation for extreme water resistance.
Do you need underlay for solid wood flooring on concrete?
Because you are likely to be fixing your solid wood boards to the subfloor, underlay is not usually used, but there are slatted underlays you can buy for the purpose, with pre-cut slots that allow the floor to be glued directly to the subfloor (try Acoustalay Slatted Glue Through Underlay, available from Screwfix).
What is the best wood flooring for concrete slab?
A floating floor is the perfect companion for a concrete subfloor. According to flooring experts, the best kind of wood flooring to use with a concrete subfloor is a floating engineered wood floor. This kind of floor performs well, resists moisture and is easy to install.
Can you float a solid wood floor on concrete?
The quickest way to get new wood underfoot is to install a floating floor. Unlike traditional solid–wood strips, a floating floor isn’t nailed down. Instead, the planks are either glued or snapped together. The planks go down fast, over virtually any material—concrete, plywood, sheet vinyl, even ceramic tile.
Do I need a vapor barrier between concrete and wood flooring?
Do I need a vapor barrier for hardwood floors?” The answer is YES! Moisture can destroy hardwood flooring. It causes cupping, warping, and even mildew if not treated. You must install a moisture barrier to protect your flooring from water wicking up from below.
What can I put over concrete?
You have many choices of flooring that can be placed over concrete in any interior or exterior condition.
- Engineered Wood. Engineered wood is real wood.
- Cork Flooring. Install cork flooring over concrete as long as the floor is level and clean.
- Laminate Flooring.
- Decorative Concrete.
Can mold grow under vinyl flooring on concrete?
Although vinyl plank flooring is well-known to be waterproof, it does not mean that liquids can seep through the cracks, grooves, or edges and become trapped under the planks, allowing mold to grow underneath your floors.
Do I need underlayment for vinyl plank flooring on concrete?
The rule of thumb is any vinyl over 4mm can have a vinyl specific underlayment. Vinyl floors under 4mm should be installed right over the subfloor. If you have any areas on a concrete subfloor with moisture concerns, it is recommended to use a vapor barrier underlayment that will not add any cushion to the planks.
How do you install solid wood flooring on a concrete slab?
Lay 6-mil polyethylene sheeting over the concrete to minimize moisture migration from the concrete up into the wood flooring. Then fasten 3/4-in. treated plywood to the concrete with concrete screws spaced every 16 in. Alternatively, screw rows of treated 1x4s to the concrete 16 in.
What kind of flooring can you put on a slab?
Flooring experts generally advise against installing traditional plank or strip hardwoods below grade. This article discusses your best flooring options for concrete slab foundation which include: wood, rubber tile, ceramic tile, vinyl tile, carpet, and laminate for your whole house.
Do I need a subfloor over concrete?
While a subfloor is not necessary to add structural strength when you’ll be laying finish flooring on top of a concrete slab (as in a basement remodel), subflooring over concrete offers two other advantages: A subfloor will help insulate against a concrete floor that becomes overly cold in winter.